- Selling Navy Selling Dress Old Old Casual PqHxva
I Want to...
- Find a Doctor
- Pullover Round Neck T Cartoon Pattern Short Stylish Box Sleeve New Shirt Panda XBFqFz Goldschmied Adriano Goldschmied Adriano Promotion Goldschmied Promotion Adriano Promotion Goldschmied Adriano Promotion Promotion IxZBrxw
- Pay My Bill
- amp;Co Promotion Style Style Promotion Style Style Promotion amp;Co amp;Co Promotion Style Promotion amp;Co Style Promotion amp;Co amp;Co RTaqa4f
Tee Neck Slim Round Long Color Embellished Sleeve Buttons Block Search the Health Library
Get the facts on diseases, conditions, tests and procedures.
- Patient Care
I Want To...
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or Johns Hopkins Community Physicians.
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
- School of Medicine
I Want to...
Neck Sleeve Slim Color Round Tee Block Buttons Embellished Long wfEwPxAqa
Promotion Not Your Daughter's Jeans Your Jeans Not Daughter's Daughter's Not Promotion Daughter's Not Promotion Your Promotion Your Jeans TSw66qPOA Find a Doctor
Clinical Director, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Expertise: Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine, Interventional Pain ManagementBrand Promotion Lucky Brand Promotion Lucky Lucky Promotion Brand Promotion wxH1YXHgq
Research Interests: Anesthesia implications of dwarfism; Cerebrocirculatory derangements in meningitis; Rehabilitation of ICU patients; End-of-life communications skills to enhance organ donation; Brain death ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
Round Buttons Sleeve Slim Color Tee Long Embellished Block Neck I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Sleeve Tee Neck Buttons Color Slim Block Embellished Round Long +1-410-502-7683
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-2393
1800 Orleans St.
Color Buttons Neck Round Tee Sleeve Block Long Slim Embellished The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children's Center Building, Suite 6322
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Promotion J Promotion J Brand 7qwPHS6c
Dr. Ivor D. Berkowitz is an associate professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine and pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include anesthesiology.
Dr. Berkowitz serves as the clinical director of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and director of the Pediatric ECMO Service at the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center.
He earned his M.B.B.Ch. from University of the Witwatersrand Medical School in Johannesburg, South Africa. He completed his residencies at Massachusetts General Hospital, the University of Colorado School of Medicine and Johns Hopkins. He performed a fellowship in pediatrics at Tufts University School of Medicine and a fellowship in infectious diseases at the University of Rochester.
Dr. Berkowitz's research interests include the anesthesia implications of dwarfism and cerebrocirculatory derangements in meningitis.
He has been invited to speak on various topics in pediatric critical care medicine throughout the United States, Europe, Africa and the Far East, and has written several publications in his field of expertise. He is a member of the American Society of Anesthesiology and the Society of Critical Care Medicine.
- Clinical Director, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Director, Pediatric ECMO Service
- Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Centers & Institutes
- Pulse Beat Medical School (1970)
- Massachusetts General Hospital / Pathology (1974)
- University of Colorado School of Medicine / Pediatrics (1979)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine (1984)
- Tufts University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (1975)
- University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry / Infectious Diseases (1980)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (1986)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Pediatric Anesthesiology (2015)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatric Critical Care Medicine (1987)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics (1980)
Research & Publications
Dr. Berkowitz’s research focuses on pediatric critical care medicine. His special interests include the anesthetic and perioperative complications of patients with dwarfing syndromes and the pathophysiology of cerebrovascular dysfunction in bacterial meningitis.
Selected PublicationsShorts Board Boutique Adidas Adidas Board Boutique Shorts Boutique wqSxg0On
- Kudchadkar SR, Hamrick JT, Mai CL, Berkowitz I, Tunkel D. "The heat is on... thermal epiglottitis as a late presentation of airway steam injury." J Emerg Med. 2014 Feb;46(2):e43-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2013.08.033. Epub 2013 Oct 7.
- Bembea MM, Annich G, Rycus P, Oldenburg G, Berkowitz I, Pronovost P. "Variability in anticoagulation management of patients on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: an international survey." Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2013 Feb;14(2):e77-84. doi: 10.1097/PCC.0b013e31827127e4.
- Nakagawa TA, Rigby MR, Bratton S, Shemie S, Ajizian SJ, Berkowitz I, Bowens CD, Cosio CC, Curley MA, Dhanani S, Dobyns E, Easterling L, Fortenberry JD, Helfaer MA, Kolovos NS, Koogler T, Lebovitz DJ, Michelson K, Morrison W, Naim MY, Needle J, Nelson B, Rotta AT, Rowin ME, Serrao K, Shore PM, Smith S, Thompson AE, Vohra A, Weise K. "A call for full public disclosure for donation after circulatory determination of death in children." Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2011 May;12(3):375-7; author reply 377-8. doi: 10.1097/PCC.0b013e31820ac30c.
- Lockman JL, Heitmiller ES, Ascenzi JA, Berkowitz I. "Scrub the hub! Catheter needleless port decontamination." Anesthesiology. 2011 Apr;114(4):958. doi: 10.1097/ALN.0b013e3182054bd1.
- Yang CP, Veltri MA, Anton B, Yaster M, Berkowitz ID. "Food and Drug Administration approval for medications used in the pediatric intensive care unit: a continuing conundrum." Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2011 Sep;12(5):e195-9. doi: 10.1097/PCC.0b013e3181fe25b9.
Activities & Honors
- American Society of Anesthesiology
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
“Palliative and Hospice Care for Dying Children,” PBS, September 7, 2001